Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dried Pumpkin...

Needing a boost in spirits I decided that the BF and I would carve pumpkins. A serge of creative genius, playful humor and memories of yesteryear no doubt. I took my time cleaning out the guts of my pumpkin gal, I carefully sketched the face to carve out of my pumpkin. I was sure to include details such as eyebrows and wispy ringlet curls to frame her face. These features were carefully carved into the surface of my large vegetable (or fruit?) with intention and purpose as I got to know the face that was appearing before me. Others chose not to take their time with such details but rather to hack (what seemed like indiscriminately) at their pumpkin until a face, rather ominously appeard.

Well, any and every time I have carved a pumpkin I have left it outside my front door to become one with the front step as it froze to the ground and usually remained so until about Christmas. I had not for a second contemplated the new variable that would make this displaying of artistic talent much more temporary. You see usually the pumpkin is frozen to perfectly capture and preserve one's art. However in Southern California this is far from the case. Speedy decomposition and excessive mold growth is what our art work was met with. Such speed that within one week of carving the non-cute of the two pumpkins was largely reduced to mushy mold as the pumpkin decomposed, mixed with the mold and became a rather scary hybrid of the two.

I have since noticed a lot of fake pumpkins on peoples front steps. I get it now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I never thought about that - we never carved our pumpkins more than a week before Halloween for that exact reason. People from Chicago live such a charmed life!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Bummer. If you weren't so far away I'd send you a pumpkin from the farm...

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home