Monday, September 29, 2008

My weekend...

My weekend was great. Friday afternoon I was fortunate enough to be the helper in the car washing extravaganza. The BF and I washed our cars. BF's car is washed once a week and waxed ever two or three weeks. I am in no way exaggerating these figures. My car however was last washed in April. I feel cars should be washed just before you can no longer stand to touch them and/or you can not see out of your windshield because of the layer of grime and dust causing reflection, glare and general sight obstruction. Later that night we had a walk around OB (Ocean Beach) while we waited for our take-out Chinese to be ready. Saturday was restful and ended with a quick drive into Little Italy, near downtown, for a perfectly lovely dinner at a darling Italian restaurant on India Street called Zia Bistro. I recommend the Lobster Ravioli - delish!

Sunday I arose early to shower, dress and head into Balboa Park. A few weeks ago a sent out a mass email to close friends and family informing them of the upcoming AIDS Walk, its importance to me and my participation in it. This was the first year in which I did not see my breath as I walked, also the first year I did not have a walking companion. The fundraiser was well attended by participants of both the 5k walk (me) and the 10k run (hopefully me next year). It was exciting and inspiring to be in a mass of people all walking with the same purpose and sense of importance - A Cure.

As usually I people watched as I walked. There were supporters on the streets as we walked. Some honked horns as they drove past, one apartment had a bubble machine that blew bubbles into the passing walkers. Other apartment buildings had balconies with a smattering of viewers staring down in polite confusion of the mass of oddly dressed hodge-podge of a group taking over the streets. The energy and support was great from within the crowed and as well as those we pasted.

SD also had a much larger LGBT representation than the GR walks I have done in the past. It was interesting to watch. It was also heartwarming. Heartwarming to think that no doubt there were differences in opinions, life styles, and beliefs but that everyone there also had at least one commonality. We all wanted to show our support to the AIDS community and to show our support and hope of a CURE.

During the walk I only saw one thing I was disgusted with. A man that held a sign stating "Face it, Most people get AIDS from Sin". Now there is no doubt truth to the fact that (sinful) actions taken by individuals cause them to be at a greater risk for contracting the disease. I however would also like to point out that innocent babies contract it from their breast feeding mothers, that faithful wives contract it from husbands as do faith husbands contracting it from wives. At one point in the US it was also a possibility to contract the disease from a blood transfusion. When I think of AIDS I think more of the millions in Africa struggling with this pandemic because that was my 'exposure' to the disease. Others may think of the LGBT communities first, prompting signage similar to what I saw. But you are not going to get a lot of followers, you are not going to get people to start asking questions or come to any kind of open realization by stating things like that. I feel there are so much better ways to go about saying you care than to point a finger. Because really that finger can be pointed right back at you. Sin is sin. There is no hierarchy rating one less damning than the next. Anyways all that to say I didnt appreciate the sign.

I also wanted to say a big thanks to all you who emailed me back to give your support and encouragement. I was able to raise $106 through the generosity of those I know and love. Thanks. Next year I really hope to be able to run the 10k. If I can raise $106 for walking, I cant wait to see what happens when I telling you Im running 10K!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home