Monday, January 05, 2009

Well it’s been a while since I’ve updated my blog. Busy, lazy and forgetful are my excuses for that. So the basics of my life at the moment:

I have two jobs, one at a non-profit working in the immigration department the other working at a retail store in a local ‘fashionable’ mall. One I love, the other I like, both barely pay the bills. When it comes to bills I have more than enough to keep me busy. I have also just learned that two of my three student loans are not yet dealt with when it comes to forbearance requests and economic hardship holds. This brings more stress than needed at the moment and will be a priority for me to deal with on my lunch break tomorrow.

Two weeks ago I was able to fly home to the windy city for four days to visit family and friends for Christmas. I had a great time and was so blessed with generosity and love over the Christmas season. My parents continuously show generosity, are such a blessing and a constant staple of support that I could not wish for more. Without their help I could not have gotten this far, nor would I have been able to continue to stay out here in California. Thank you Mom and Dad.

Now that I am back out here I have been settling into my non-profit job. Learning new things everyday and stepping more into my role bit by bit. It’s a crazy place at times but I like the business. Its hard for me not to function in a strictly administrative role, as I am so used to that from my previous position in a law firm as a legal secretary. I have to learn to step back, ask for help and delegate better.

Im also on the lookout for a new apartment. I was able to scope out a place closer to my bf’s place but do not know the rent yet and am therefore trying not to get my hopes up too much (quite a task for me). Im not thrilled with the neighborhood im living in, the apartment itself or the rent amount. With such a limited income for the next year I need to do everything I can to reduce expenses and rent is my biggest one.

So for the moment that is me. Doing well but nervous about finances, so basically more or less like the rest of Americans at the moment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Helena Harper said...

Family and friends truly are a blessing - not only do they support and encourage us, we can learn so much from them. I've tried to pay my own tribute to the people in my life in a collection of poems called 'Family and More - Enemies or Friends?' Whenever things look a little bleak, all we need to do is think of family/ friends and then we realise how much we have to be grateful for
and things suddenly look brighter. I also think of what my mother has gone through in her life (fled her homeland in Germany at the end of WWII, survived post-war years in rubble strewn Hamburg, then married an Englishman and came to a totally strange country to start a new life) and, compared to that, my life is a bowl of roses. As I say in my book:

'The daughter gives thanks
for this woman of resolute will
who refuses to wallow
in past tragedies, disappointments,
upheavals and strife,
living in the here and now
of the autumn of her life
and living it in a blaze of vibrant color.
May each day in the seasons
of our lives glow likewise
with iridescent rainbows
of passion and joy,
so we can live life to the full
and help and heal
and care and share
like this woman,
exceptional and extraordinary,
whom in another time, another place,
one unthinkingly called an “enemy.”'

Here's to family! Thank you for your post.

Helena Harper
www.helenaharper.com
helenaharpersblog.blogspot.com

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home