Saturday, November 12, 2005

Random Selection of thoughts, once again.

Set personal goal, to have my application for the University of East London done by Thanksgiving. I’ve been working on the personal response section for about a week now. Hate it by the way. I am not good at selling myself, or for that matter making any intelligent statement about my qualifications and reasons for wanting to pursue a LLM degree in human rights. What I really want to say is well I particially am doing this just to get out of the country and because I thought it would be cool to move back to England on my own terms…somehow I know this is not the explanation they are looking for. I even started looking into other Universities around the country, that being the country of England. The fact that I have no idea if I have any really chance of getting into any of these schools keeps looming darkly over my head. I just keeping of the quote by Martin Luther King Jr., “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”.

Speaking of which…NINE senators voted for torture! Speechless pretty much sums up my reaction to that. Not only has torture been proven to be an ineffective tool in interrogation but do we have no sense of morals anymore people! Honestly! Disgust, outrage and revulsion are weak words to describe my thoughts about those who use, promote or vote in favor of torture.

A friend recently sent me Brian McLaren’s book A New Kind of Christain. I have only just started it but can already tell I will like it. Basic premise from what I understand is that we don’t have to fit into the right wing evangelical base nor the extreme liberal base. Having read a blog recently that attacked basically who I am and my beliefs and having gotten notes this summer about my bumper stickers I am rejuvenated knowing that there is a middle ground to be found and that its ok.

Boys. Yes I have been known to be a bit harsh from time to time about the opposite sex. OK, so I’ve been known to be darn right sexist…but whatever. My question is this. Can a girl not be nice to a guy without him thinking its some kind of ‘come date me’ sign?!

Was reading the short book Now and Then: a memoir of vocation, by Frederick Buechner the other day. He said this when describing the faith of one of his professors in Seminary, “He was a fool in the sense that he didn’t or couldn’t or wouldn’t resolve, intellectualize, or evade, the tensions of his faith but lived those tensions out, torn almost in two by them at times. His faith was not a seamless garment but a ragged garment with the seams showing, the tears showing, a garment that he clutched about him like a man in a storm”. What a great description of a person’s faith. I can only pray that one day I am able to be described in such a manner. I think the idea faith being a ragged garment with seams showing is so much more real and truthful than some ideas we have about not only our faith but the faith of others. I know my own faith defiantly has patched areas, areas where tears are still being mended and it is something I hold tight around me in the storm that is life. This is also a more real and powerful example to others as to what faith is. Faith does not suddenly make everything ok, life does not become easier, it does not all make sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home